The final report into the fatal Glória funicular derailment in Lisbon has been delayed until late March 2027 due to complex technical testing.
Portugal's Aviation and Railway Accident Prevention and Investigation Office (GPIAAF) had originally planned to publish its findings by September 3, one year after the crash killed 16 people and injured around 20 Portuguese citizens and foreign nationals.
In an information note accessed on Friday, the investigation agency explained that despite maximum diligence, completing the final report by September was not possible, prompting officials to issue an update on investigation progress and safety issues.

Engineering tests and reverse engineering
The Glória funicular and Lisbon's Lavra funicular share an identical design apart from their routes and are unique in the world. A lack of technical documentation has forced investigators to use reverse engineering to study their characteristics.
The scope of the investigation was set following a preliminary report on October 20, 2025, which highlighted maintenance failures and omissions, insufficient staff training, and a lack of supervision over contractor work.
GPIAAF hired three specialized entities to examine the cable and its vehicle attachments, the carriage brake systems and dynamic modeling, and the adherence of brakes to wheels and Z-shaped rails.
Investigators later extended the brake study to include track geometry and hired a fourth specialized entity in coordination with the Public Prosecutor's Office to examine the electrical circuit.
Joint testing with prosecutors
Because the Public Prosecutor's Office is conducting a parallel criminal inquiry, authorities combined technical testing to save public funds and manage destructive, unrepeatable tests efficiently while maintaining independent investigations.
Engineers are conducting physical and chemical tests on the main cable to evaluate its metallurgical condition and compare the cable installed during the crash against original specifications from municipal transport company Carris.
Functional brake tests are underway on both the partially destroyed carriage and the carriage with minor damage, while intact carriages on the Lavra line are serving as laboratory models.
Municipal transport operator Carris has provided full technical and logistical cooperation, though limited documentation has required additional testing to clarify specific issues.
Timeline for final report
Alongside technical systems, investigators are examining non-technical factors, including human and organizational elements, maintenance practices, and the legal framework governing funicular operations.
Testing follows a sequential scientific method validated by academic entities, with technical assessments expected to finish by the end of November barring unexpected constraints.
Investigators will then analyze the results and draft the report before consulting involved entities, leading to expected publication near the end of the first quarter of 2027.
Political friction and victim compensation
The crash has generated political controversy in Lisbon City Council, where opposition members criticized municipal leadership for failing to provide complete information about the derailment.
Lisbon Mayor Carlos Moedas said the ongoing judicial investigation was welcome after Judicial Police officers conducted searches at Carris headquarters.
Carris confirmed in July that three victim compensation claims had been finalized, while acknowledging reports from victims' families who said they had not yet received death certificates.
The opposition Socialist Party later praised a government clarification regarding victim autopsies, which contradicted earlier statements made by Carris.
