The Ministry of Defense (Mindef) has tasked the Private Investment Promotion Agency (ProInversión) the dissemination and awarding of the project for the construction of a spaceport (Spaceport) at the El Pato air base in the city of Talara (Piura).
This work will be developed on a property of the Peruvian Air Force (FAP), through the Asset Projects modality, with an estimated investment of S/1,000 million. For this purpose, Mindef incorporated this project in its Multiannual Report on Investments in Public-Private Partnerships and Asset Projects (Imiapp), which was approved by this sector, on December 21, 2023, through Ministerial Resolution No. 01558. -2023-DE.
Why will a spaceport be built?
According to Mindef, the Spaceport project aims facilitate the launches of rockets and spacecraft for orbital (which will orbit the earth like satellites) and suborbital flights (those that will transport people to other continents in less time, without reaching a complete orbit of the Earth) from platforms prepared, equipped, certified and authorized for this purpose, which will be located at the El Pato air base in Talara, Piura ( due to its proximity to the equator).
The Spaceport will have ground platforms (from where ships will be launched into space), as well as a control center, preparation, integration and validation hangars, as well as taxi and take-off runways, in a clear area far from the population.
According to the ministry, the direct beneficiaries will be both for the city of Talara – due to the improvement of access roads and tourism – and for the region. Piura —for being a regional space transportation hub—; Likewise, the country in general will benefit from having a spaceport that will contribute to technological development, research, education, security and national defense.
This work is part of a group of 8 projects, for more than S/1,300 million, that Mindef plans to commission from ProInversión, according to the coordination meetings held with the Vice Minister of Defense Resources of Mindef, Adolfo Jorge Herrera Orlandini.
To do this, the previous step was the incorporation of the eight projects in the Imiapp and their respective approval. Then will come the commissioning agreements that ProInversión will sign with Mindef to formulate, structure and negotiate (promote and award) the development of each of them.
What are the other projects?
The other seven projects that Mindef plans to entrust to ProInversion —as a result of the management of the Asset Projects team of the agency’s Project Portfolio Department— are:
- Recovery of the airfield of the San Juan de Marcona-Bahía de San Juan de Marcona naval base in the district of Marcona, province of Nazca, department of Ica, with an approximate investment of S/32.9 million.
- Recovery of the habitability service in the naval town of San Juan de Marcona in the district of Marcona, province of Nasca, department of Ica, with an estimated investment of S/54.2 million.
- Construction of the infrastructure for the habitability of the General Headquarters and the units of the Sixth Special Forces Brigade, in the department of Madre de Dios, province of Manu, with an investment of S/22.8 million.
- Construction of the infrastructure for the habitability of the General Headquarters and the units of the 35th Jungle Brigade in the department of Loreto, province of Mariscal Ramón Castilla, with an estimated investment of S/83 million.
- Construction of the infrastructure for the habitation of 4 units: Selva Battalion No. 3, No. 17 (replacing No. 49), No. 28 and No. 83; located in the department of Loreto, province of Putumayo, with a planned investment of S/59.2 million.
- Improvement and expansion of the housing service for the personnel of the First Naval Zone of Paita, district of Paita, province of the same name, Department of Piura, with an estimated investment of S/28.5 million.
- Improvement and expansion of the dock of the Paita naval station, district of Paita, province of the same name, department of Piura, with an estimated investment of S/33 million.
For each of these projects, Mindef would grant a surface right (a property) as compensation. in favor of a private company for a period of 30 years so that it develops a work of interest or line of business at its own expense, cost and risk.
Alia is a professional author and journalist, working at 247 news agency. She writes on various topics from economy news to general interest pieces, providing readers with relevant and informative content. With years of experience, she brings a unique perspective and in-depth analysis to her work.