Six days after the cyber attack suffered by the Municipality of Quito, this Friday (April 22) the Mayor’s Office filed a complaint with the State Attorney General’s Office for the alleged crime of attacking the integrity of computer systems.
The Municipality reported that the complaint was made in order to protect the information and services provided to citizens virtually. The Prosecutor’s Office is expected to initiate the corresponding investigations immediately.
These are the services enabled in the Municipality of Quito, after suffering a computer attack
“It is known that these types of attacks are designed to restrict access to files and demand a ransom in exchange for releasing the information, as well as threats of new attack attempts,” said the council.
The incident occurred on April 16: the municipal technological infrastructure was infected with a type virus ransomware. This caused the suspension of several services, causing inconvenience to users who have not been able to carry out procedures.
ANNOUNCEMENT | The Municipality of Quito filed a complaint in the @FiscaliaEcuador for the crime of attacking the integrity of computer systems, due to what happened on April 16, after the impact on its technological infrastructure, infected with a Ransomware-type virus. pic.twitter.com/Y9lv5rNitz
– Municipality of Quito (@MunicipioQuito) April 22, 2022
Until Wednesday the 20th, the Metropolitan Directorate of Citizen Services managed to enable the following services:
- Service balconies of all zonal administrations.
- Municipal Contact Center, free telephone line 1800-510-510. The options are available: 4, Land Registry; 6, Municipal Services in General; 7, Animal Welfare Unit; and 8, Domain Transfer.
- Email [email protected]
- Counter of information: advice on procedures and services of the Municipality, prior review of requirements for entry of procedures, activation of previously scheduled shifts.
- Universal window, for face-to-face reception of requests for creation, updating and closing of RAET (patent); and for administrative tax claims (refunds, exemptions, review). (I)