Doctors had to amputate the arms and legs of a woman in San Jose, California (USA).who has contracted a bacterial infection that may come from undercooked fish.

After cooking and eating the fish purchased at a local market in July, 40-year-old Laura Barajas became ill almost immediately. Specialists diagnosed him with Vibrio vulnificus.according to a GoFundMe fundraising campaign from her friend Anna Messina.

Vibrio vulnificus is commonly called “flesh-eating bacteria” because it can cause necrotizing fasciitis, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is “a serious infection that causes the flesh around the body to die.” open wound.”

“He almost lost his life. “She was connected to a ventilator,” Messina said KRON-4. She was put into a medically induced coma. His fingers were black, his feet were black, his lower lip was black. “He had complete sepsis and his kidneys were failing,” he said.

Barajas, who has a six-year-old son, spent a month in the hospital before “To save his life, all four of his limbs had to be removed.”, as described in GoFundMe.

The primary treatment for necrotizing fasciitis “is early, aggressive surgical exploration and debridement of necrotic tissue,” according to the CDC, which recently issued a warning about this bacterial infection.

Generally, infection with Vibrio bacteria occurs when eating raw or undercooked fish or shellfish.

However, the GGD warns that you can also become ill if you go into salt water with an open wound – from a cut to a piercing or a recent tattoo – or if the wound comes into contact with raw shellfish.

Between 150 and 200 cases of infections are reported each year, and about one in five people with the infection die, sometimes within a day or two of becoming ill. (JO)