In a statement to the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet, Hatayspor coach Volkan Demirel denied the information that the Ghanaian player Christian Atsu, formerly of Chelsea and Newcastle, was found in the rubble after the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, which have already killed thousands of people.
“Please do not write that he survived without being sure of it. We have family, hopes and pains that only increase. There is no news about Atsu and Taner Savut [diretor esportivo do clube que também está desaparecido]. He wouldn’t say that if they were in the hospital. We are going through very difficult times.” the coach told the Turkish newspaper.
According to the doctor of the Turkish team, Gurbey Kahveci, there was confusion in the identification of the patient at the hospital, which led to the misunderstanding.
“When we heard the news that they had taken him to the hospital, we went to get him, but he wasn’t there. So far it looks like Taner Savut and Christian Atsu have not been found,” said the Hatayspor doctor.
Last Tuesday, Ambassador Francisca Ashietey-Odunton and the Ghana Football Association had confirmed the information that the player would have been found alive in the rubble of a building and that he had been taken to the hospital.
Good News! 🙏🏾❤️ https://t.co/lqMxitpdAt
— 🇬🇭 Black Stars (@GhanaBlackstars) February 7, 2023
With the destruction left by the earthquake, and by the powerful aftershocks, which left thousands dead, injured and homeless in Turkey and Syria, the Turkish Championship was suspended.
Kingston is an accomplished author and journalist, known for his in-depth and engaging writing on sports. He currently works as a writer at 247 News Agency, where he has established himself as a respected voice in the sports industry.