It seemed that after the coronavirus pandemic, football clubs would spend money more sparingly, but reality surprised again. Over the last 12 months, Chelsea’s new owners have spent €700 million on transfers. The most expensive acquisition of Londoners is
Enzo Fernandez is the sixth most expensive transfer in football history
You had to wait until 2013 for the first transfer over 100 million euros. Then that’s the amount Real Madrid would pay Tottenham for Gareth Bale. Since then there have been 12 transfers over that sum.
The last of them is the transfer of Enzo Fernandez to Chelsea for the amount of 121 million euros. This ranks him in sixth place in the history of the most expensive transactions in the world of football. The Argentine is ahead of another Benfica player, Joao Felix, for whom Atletico Madrid paid six million more in 2019. Neymar remains an absolute record purchase, for whom PSG paid FC Barcelona in 2017 exactly 222 million euros.
Fernandez is also not the youngest player for whom more than 100 million euros have been paid. The freshly baked world champion was 22 years old at the time of the transfer, and younger than him were m.in. the aforementioned Felix, Ousmane Dembele and Kylian Mbappe.
The oldest player on the list is Cristiano Ronaldo, who cost Juventus €117 million at the age of 33. This is how much Real Madrid earned from the sale of the Portuguese in 2018.
Looking at the list below, it’s hard not to get the impression that these transfers did not live up to expectations. Suffice it to say that only Eden Hazard won the Champions League at his new club. And so the Belgian in the colors of Real Madrid plays a marginal role.
More such information can be found at
The ten most expensive transfers in football history (data from Transfermarkt):
- Neymar, 25, FC Barcelona -> PSG – €222 million (2017),
- Kylian Mbappe, 19, AS Monaco -> PSG – €180 million (2018),
- Ousmane Dembele, 20, Borussia Dortmund -> FC Barcelona – €140 million (2017)
- Philippe Coutinho, 25, Liverpool -> FC Barcelona – €135 million (2018),
- Joao Felix, 19, Benfica -> Atletico Madrid – €127 million (2019),
- Enzo Fernandez, 22, Benfica -> Chelsea – €121 million (2023)
- Antoine Griezmann, 28, Atletico Madrid -> FC Barcelona – €120 million (2019),
- Jack Grealish, 25, Aston Villa -> Manchester City – €117.5 million (2021),
- Cristiano Ronaldo, 33, Real Madrid -> Juventus – €117 million (2018),
- Eden Hazard, 28, Chelsea -> Real Madrid – €115 million (2019).
Tristin is an accomplished author and journalist, known for his in-depth and engaging writing on sports. He currently works as a writer at 247 News Agency, where he has established himself as a respected voice in the sports industry.