news agency
Deadly bombings in Gaza after truce between Israel and Hamas expires

Deadly bombings in Gaza after truce between Israel and Hamas expires

Israel resumed its bombings in Gaza this Friday after the expiration of a week-long truce with Hamas, with a provisional toll of more than 100 dead, according to the authorities of the Islamist movement in power in that Palestinian territory.

Upon hearing the first explosions, shortly after the truce expired at 07:00 local time (0500 GMT), thousands of Gazans sought refuge in hospitals and schools, converted into fortune camps for displaced people, AFP journalists in Gaza reported.

The Israeli army claimed that it hit “more than 200 terrorist targets“, mainly areas with “hidden explosives, tunnels used for terrorist purposes, launching ramps [de cohetes] and command centers” of Hamas.

The Gaza Ministry of Health reported more than 100 deaths, including children in this narrow enclave of 362 km2, from where thick columns of gray smoke rose.

The resumption of fighting slammed the door on hopes of extending the truce in force since November 24, which allowed dozens of hostages held by Hamas to be exchanged for Palestinian prisoners in Israel and facilitated the entry of aid into the Gaza Strip.

The war began on October 7 when Islamist militants swept into southern Israel, killing 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and kidnapping about 240, according to Israeli authorities.

In response, Israel vowed to eliminate Hamas and unleashed a campaign of air and ground attacks on Gaza that, according to the Hamas government, has so far left more than 15,000 dead, the vast majority of them civilians.

Hamas is going to take a “beating”

The truce collapsed despite intense diplomatic negotiations.

Visiting the region, the head of US diplomacy, Antony Blinken, urged on Thursday to extend it for “eighth day and more” and asked that, in the event of a resumption of bombing, Israel delimit areas “safe” for Gaza civilians.

But on Friday morning, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed that Hamas “raped“the agreement to”shoot rockets” towards Israel.

Palestinian medics search for survivors in the rubble of a building following Israeli bombing in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip, December 1, 2023, as fighting resumed shortly after the expiration of a seven-day truce between Israel and Hamas militants. (Photo by SAID KHATIB / AFP)

“The Israeli government is determined to achieve the goals of the war: to free the hostages, eliminate Hamas and ensure that Gaza never again poses a threat to the people of Israel,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.

Hamas “will receive the mother of all beatings”an Israeli government spokesman promised.

In response, Ezzat el Richq, leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, another armed movement in Gaza, stated that the Israeli army “will not succeed, resuming the war“, the objectives that “did not achieve before the truce”.

“Areas to evacuate”

Early on Friday, the Israeli army began sending messages to the phones of residents of some neighborhoods in Gaza City, in the north of the Strip, and in towns bordering Israel in the south of the enclave, urging them to “leave immediately.” ”. because I was going to carry outharsh military attacks”.

On its website, the army also published in Arabic a “map of areas to evacuate”.

A Palestinian carries a wounded man to the Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis, after the resumption of Israeli airstrikes in Khan Yunis, southern Gaza Strip, on December 1, 2023. EFE/EPA/HAITHAM IMAD EPA- EFE/HAITHAM IMAD
A Palestinian carries a wounded man to the Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis, after the resumption of Israeli airstrikes in Khan Yunis, southern Gaza Strip, on December 1, 2023. EFE/EPA/HAITHAM IMAD EPA- EFE/HAITHAM IMAD

The truce began to falter on Thursday when Hamas claimed responsibility for an attack in Jerusalem that killed four Israelis.

However, the Islamist movement had declared itself willing to extend the ceasefire, negotiated through the mediation of Qatar, Egypt and the United States.

The White House assured on Friday that the United States continues “working with Israel, Egypt and Qatar to extend humanitarian pause in Gaza”, despite the resumption of fighting.

On Thursday night, a final group of eight Israeli hostages were released by Hamas and thirty Palestinian prisoners were released from prison in Israel.

“Nightmare”

The resumption of fighting once again plunged the Gaza Strip into a “nightmare”said the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Robert Mardini.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he “deeply regrets” the resumption of hostilities and hoped it would be possible. “renew the pause”.

The truce gave a respite to a population overwhelmed by seven weeks of Israeli bombings and a practically total blockade of the arrival of food, medicine and fuel.

It also allowed the release of 80 Israeli hostages, all of them women and children, and 240 Palestinian prisoners, also women and minors.

About twenty foreigners or people with dual nationality, mostly Thais working in Israel, were also released, but outside the framework of the agreement.

“We have to keep fighting”

The agreement also made it possible for humanitarian aid to enter Gaza, where, according to the UN, the 2.4 million inhabitants suffer from food insecurity.

No aid trucks have entered Gaza since the resumption of Israeli bombings“Wael Abu Omar, head of communications at the Rafah terminal (south), a border crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt, told AFP.

But preparations are being made for the evacuation of several injured people and the entry into Gaza of Gazans who were blocked abroad.”he added.

According to Israel, Hamas launched rockets from the Gaza Strip.
According to Israel, Hamas launched rockets from the Gaza Strip.

The needs are immense in this territory, subjected to an Israeli blockade since 2007, when Hamas came to power in the territory, and to a strict siege since October 9.

According to the UN, 1.7 million people have been displaced by the war and more than half of the homes have been damaged or destroyed.

In Israel, authorities reinstated a ban on opening schools that do not have shelters that meet all standards.

Tel Aviv residents interviewed by AFP considered that the resumption of hostilities was inevitable.

As long as Hamas is there, we have to keep fighting“estimated Ofir Dardary, 39 years old.

Source: Gestion

You may also like

Hot News

TRENDING NEWS

Subscribe

follow us

Immediate Access Pro