21.2 C
New York
Saturday, August 13, 2022

Latest Posts

They successfully separate two Siamese children who shared part of the brain: “It was the case with the highest risk of death”

- Advertisement -

Brazilian surgeons have successfully separated two three-year-old Siamese twins joined at the head. It took seven surgeries, the last 27 hours, and more than 100 medical professionals.

The brothers shared 15% of the brain and a main vein responsible for carrying blood back to the heart. The case of Arthur and Bernardo is very rare and serious, so few doctors even dared to diagnose a solution.

- Advertisement -

“They were within the most serious classification, more difficult and with more risk of death for both“says Gabriel Mufarrej, a neurosurgeon at the Paulo Niemeyer State Brain Institute in Brazil.

They spent more than three years hospitalized and although the chances were low the team of more than 100 doctors was determined. “When you have a 1% chance, you have 99% faith,” says Mufarrej.

The doctors at the Brazilian hospital decided to contact an English specialist, the best and most experienced in these surgeries. In total there were seven necessary interventions, where only in the last two final procedures required a total of 33 hours.

- Advertisement -

After the division, another eight hours of cranial reconstruction were necessary: “There was silence in the operating room and emotion took hold. It was very difficult but very happy.”

A process of almost four years with the best ending, where medicine and the advances surprise us again to give a new life to these two little ones.

Source: Lasexta

- Advertisement -
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.