the technician of Manchester UnitedDutchman Erik ten Hag, reiterated that Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo will remain at Old Trafford, despite the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s desire to move to a club competing in Champions League.
Ronaldo, 37, has missed most of United’s pre-season and has been excused from a tour of Asia and Australia by the club for family reasons.
The striker returned to the team in a friendly against Rayo Vallecano (1-1) last weekend. However, he returned to the headlines for leaving Old Trafford stadium before the end of the match.
Ten Hag called his attitude “unacceptable”, but also criticized the media for focusing on Ronaldo when other players also acted in the same way.
“We’ve planned the season with him (Ronaldo). We have a top striker and I’m very happy he’s here, he’s in the team and we stick to that plan,” Ten Hag said at the press conference ahead of his Premier League debut against Brighton on Sunday.
“There were a lot of players who left (the stadium), but the focus is on Cristiano and that’s not fair,” continued the Dutch coach.
“I am satisfied with the whole team. There is a good atmosphere and Cristiano is working very hard,” said Ten Hag.
After a disastrous campaign in which United finished sixth in the Premier League last season, extensive team reshuffle was expected during the summer market.
Paul Pogba, Edinson Cavani, Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic and Juan Mata all left after their respective contracts ended, but the ‘Red Devils’ start the season with just three signings: Lisandro Martinez, Tyrell Malacia and Christian Eriksen.
Manchester United remains interested in Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who has already shone with Ten Hag at Ajax, but so far without success.
“I cannot comment on a player who has a contract with another club. When we have news, we will let you know”, concluded Ten Hag.