Dear readers, this cake is a delight, perfect to serve as an appetizer, part of a brunch or in the afternoon with a coffee, it’s super easy and you’re sure to love it. Also, if you want you can turn it into a very versatile cake of assorted vegetables, use your imagination!
I hope you enjoy it and thank your cook today.
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of cold water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup yellow Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon of clean oregano leaves
- In a bowl put the flour with the softened butter, the egg, water and salt and mix very well until you get a homogeneous mixture. Cover it and let it rest for half an hour.
- Have a tart pan on hand, preferably one that unmolds. On a plastic or waxed paper, smooth the dough, lift the dough with the paper and put it on the cake mold with the dough side down, carefully remove the paper from the mold and prick the dough with a fork so that when time of baking does not puff up.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake the dough at 350º F or 175º C for 15 minutes. Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for 15 more minutes until the dough is golden. Remove from the oven and have it ready.
- Peel the tomatoes and cut thick slices, so that you get two good slices from each tomato. Put salt and pepper on them. In a large skillet put the olive oil and fry the tomato slices on both sides, as soon as they are golden remove them from the heat and arrange them on the cake so that it is covered with tomatoes. Sprinkle half a tablespoon of oregano over the tomatoes.
- Now spread the mozzarella cheese and Swiss cheese all over the cake, distributing it on top to cover the tomatoes.
- The rest of the tomatoes that were left, cut them into large squares and fry them in the same pan until golden brown, add a touch of salt and pepper. Distribute these squares on top of the cheese and finish with the other half tablespoon of oregano on top.
- Take the cake to the oven at 350º F or 175º C and let the cheese melt well. It will take 15 or 20 minutes. Remove the tart from the oven and carefully unmold it onto a nice round platter. Serve it very hot.
Note: Makes approximately 8 to 10 servings.