Hyacinth is an extremely bulbous plant valued both for its intensely fragrant flowers and decorative leaves. It is available in a variety of colors, including white, pink, purple, blue and yellow. Thanks to such diversity, it is often chosen as a spring interior decoration. But what to do with its bulbs when they fade? We know one thing, don’t throw them away.
How to plant hyacinths in a pot? Prepare your own interior decoration
If we prepare hyacinth bulbs well in advance, we will enjoy a unique interior decoration in spring. It is best to prepare them in autumn or winter, here are the instructions:
- Choose a suitable pot with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Choose well-drained, fertile garden soil or a ready-made mixture for bulb plants.
- Place the hyacinth bulb in the pot to a depth about twice its height.
- Water the soil gently, avoiding over-soaking.
- Place the pot in a bright place, but avoid direct sunlight.
- Water the soil regularly, keeping it slightly moist.
- When the shoots start to grow, move the pot to a place with more light.
Hyacinth after flowering: how to protect the bulbs? They will please our eyes next spring
After the hyacinths have finished blooming, when the leaves begin to wither, it is important to properly protect the bulbs so that they can rest properly and prepare for the next flowering season. If we want these colorful flowers to please our eyes more than once, there are a few steps you can take:
- Once flowering is finished, stop watering your hyacinths to stop water being supplied to the plant. Let the earth dry;
- do not trim the leaves, leave them on the plant. They play a key role in photosynthesis, providing energy to the bulb that will store nutrients for the next flowering season;
- After the flowering season ends, remove the bulbs from the pot and store them in a cool, dry place until they are planted again next season;
- while waiting for the next one, it is important to plant the hyacinths in a pot about 6-8 weeks before the expected flowering date to give the bulbs time to take root and prepare for growth.
Bulbs prepared and cared for in this way will be ready to sprout and bloom again in the next season.
Bruce is a talented author and journalist with a passion for entertainment . He currently works as a writer at the 247 News Agency, where he has established himself as a respected voice in the industry.