Are you thinking of bringing products into Peru from the Foreign? The National Superintendence of Customs and Tax Administration (Sunat) specified the items you can bring without paying taxes and without the need to make a statement before the authorities.
Among the main ones are the goods for personal use such as suitcases, bags and other containers of common use inside your luggage. Are included clothingornaments, dressing table, medicines, books, magazines and printed documents.
They also need a list of electrical items or portable electronics:
- Hair appliance (2 units).
- Electronic calculator (1 unit).
- Broadcast receiver or sound player, even with a recorder or equipment that contains them as a whole, non-professional, with its own power source (1 unit).
- Non-professional camcorder with its own power source, over 7 years old (1 unit).
- Digital video disc player (1 unit).
- Home electronic video game apparatus (1 unit).
- Electronic diary or electronic tablet (1 unit).
- Laptop with its own power source older than 7 years old (1 unit).
- Electric shaver or epilator older than 7 years (1 unit).
- Camera (2 units).
- Cell phone (2 units). One of them must be more than 7 years old.
They also specify the products used as data carrier:
- Compact disc (20 units).
- External hard drive for computer (2 units).
- Memory for digital camera, camcorder and/or video game, only if you carry the aforementioned devices (4 units).
- USB memory (4 units).
- Digital video or video game disc (10 units).
Tobacco Y alcoholic drinks (Only for over 18 years):
- Cigarette packs (20 units).
- Pure cigars (50 units or minced tobacco or herbs to smoke 250 grams).
- Liquor (3 liters).
You can also bring a portable musical instrument, a sports item and a pet (after a health check). Nor will they pay tariffsgoods for your use or consumption and gifts that, due to their quantity, nature or variety, are presumed not to be intended for commerce”. Such items may not exceed a combined value of US$500.
Similarly, it is allowed to transport items for people with illness or disability: auxiliary means and mobilization equipment such as wheelchairs, stretchers, crutches, pressure, temperature, glucose meters, among others. Also, you can login with cash or negotiable financial instruments for an amount less than or equal to US$10,000 without the need to declare it.
The commodity undeclared and outside of the above mentioned will be seized by the customs authority. To recover the confiscated item, you must pay the corresponding taxes at customs and a fine equivalent to 50% of its value.
What is the penalty for smuggling in Peru?
In March 2022, the Executive Power modified the Customs Crimes Law (LDA), in an attempt to establish a clearer and more agile process in the investigation of termination of cases. It was determined that the smuggling is punished with imprisonment for not less than five nor more than eight years, as well as between 365 and 730 days fine, provided that the value of the merchandise exceeds 4 UIT (S/ 18,400).
The causes of the crime smuggling are:
- Internment of merchandise from abroad to Peruvian territory, subtracting, eluding or circumventing customs control.
- Extract merchandise from the national territory, subtracting, eluding or circumventing customs control.
- Does not present the goods for verification, physical examination or other customs control action within the customs clearance process. The action of hiding or subtracting the merchandise from customs control is equivalent to non-presentation.
- Extracts, consumes, disposes or uses the goods that are in the primary zone delimited by the General Customs Law, without the Customs Administration having granted the release or authorized the withdrawal, as appropriate.
- Consumes, stores, disposes or uses the merchandise during the transfer, authorized by the Customs Administration, from one primary zone to another, for its physical examination or other customs control action, without the prior payment of taxes or levies.
- Import goods from a free zone, special customs treatment zone or special taxation zone and subject to a special tariff regime towards the rest of the national territory, without having the authorization of the Customs Administration, the prior payment of differential taxes or without compliance with other legal requirements.
- Drives in any means of transport, circulates, embarks, disembarks or transships merchandise within the national territory, without having been subjected to customs control.